What is TMJ?
The TMJ, or temporomandibular joint, is the jaw joint. It connects the lower jaw, called the mandible, to the rest of your head. This joint allows your jaw to move to chew, eat, speak, yawn, and more. When this joint suffers from stress, misalignment, trauma, or damage of any kind, it may result in a condition known as TMD, or TMJ dysfunction.
What are the symptoms of TMD?
TMJ dysfunction can cause a number of painful symptoms, including:
- A locked jaw or inability to open your mouth very wide
- Chronic jaw pain
- Pain in the face, neck, ears, or shoulders
- Ringing in the ears
- Painful chewing and speaking
- Popping, grinding, or clicking sounds in the jaw joint when opening and closing your mouth
- Frequent tension headaches or migraines
If you experience any of these signs of TMD, we encourage you to contact us today at Niles Dental.
How do you treat TMD?
Dr. Niles and Dr. Niles-Smith provide treatment for the TMJ in Woodbridge, Virginia, so you can live free from the pain caused by TMD. Based on the cause of the condition, our dentists may recommend facial muscle relaxation exercises, restorative dental treatments, orthodontics, or a bite guard. For more information and to set up your consultation, call us today!